Wednesday, March 28, 2007

addiction revisited

a couple posts ago i said i was addicted to buying cds..
that was a lie.. i'm addicted to music.. or more specifically i'm addicted to the music that i buy..

you might be thinkin, "yea everybody says they love music"..
yea.. this isn't love.. this is an addiction..

ok.. now that i think of it.. addiction is a pretty extreme word.. which is prolly why i use it.. because it's so EXTREME..

i don't wanna mislead you to think that i can't live without the music i buy.. or that i need a fix every couple of hours.. but at the same time, i don't think that my affection for music is something that everybody is gonna be able to relate to.. i don't really know what to call it right now other than an addiction, but just know that i'm not hella stupid or anything and that i don't know what the definition is of an addiction.. i'll describe it by telling you what i do with my music compared to what i think most other people do with theirs.. most people get a new album, let it play, decide which songs they like, and put those songs in their next cd mix..

this is how i go about things:
when i get a new album, i'll let it play.. and if i decide that i like the first couple tracks.. then i'll tell myself that i automatically like the whole album.. even though i prolly won't get to the rest of the tracks for another day or so..

anyways, most people might listen to an album over and over again til they get tired of it.. or they listen to it, and like i said before, they pick out their favorite songs to put into their mixes..

me.. i NEVER get tired of listening to an album, never.. never.. i only get new albums and listen to those.. but if i had one, maybe two or three, of my albums on a roadtrip somewhere, then i wouldn't care if that's all we listened to the whole way...

and with my favorite songs, i listen to them at least 10 times repeatedly, before i start studying the song.. and studying the song doesn't mean just studying the lyrics, but every little detail about the song, even the voices in the back of the main singer.. and when the bass hits and the snare hits.. and even the conversations (like the 5-minute phone conversation alicia keys has in "you don't know my name")

and yea..
i'm never tired of repeating songs or albums..

let's end with some good lyrics..
Oughta be locked away when I rock this way
Get rocked on the airwaves but not for play
If my heart should stop and I drop today
I went against all odds and I got my way
-murs

No comments: