Friday, May 8, 2009

manny pacquiao

i am culturally obligated to post something about the pac man. even though most folks are already thinking in their heads and hearts what i'm about to write, i still have to put it down.

image courtesy of paul e.

"I have been defeated before, so I know what it is like, but a lot of people in the Philippines are willing me to win and praying for me. The guns are silent in the street every time I fight. There is no fighting, no crime. I would fight every day just for my people, if the guns will stay silent. These are the thoughts I carry to the ring and they are powerful thoughts. I am not trying to win this fight alone." -Manny Pacquiao

(well said, manny)

he looks like us, he talks like us, he even uses the same karaoke that i do. he is our champion. plain and simple. he fights for you, seriously. even if you don't follow boxing, or like boxing, or sports. as long as you like being filipino (sooo, not you michelle), manny pacquiao does it for you, i'm dead serious.

and it's not the same thing when kobe, lebron, baron, barry, or michael phelps say "I do it for my fans/country/people". bs. I'm sorry that i even had to mention those heroic hacks in the same post. manny does it for his people 198314754 times more than any high-profile athlete on this planet. he proves it time and time again.

right now, as we see him, manny pacquiao is, in practically every possible way, our real-life superhero. so please savor this time in our history, because it's a little hard to see what his future is going to look like. (i'm not saying he's going to fail in politics, i'm just saying)


And just one more photo for fun, but i don't know who to credit, so if you made this image, cheers.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I absolutely love it when he says, "Nothing personal. I'm just doing my job." So humble.

mc said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilnKLLrGkM

nuff said