Saturday, February 16, 2008

Not a restaurant review: A16

On me and April's first visit here, A16 became an instant favorite of ours, leading me to brag about it's wonderfulness to anybody I came across for a week after our dinner. A16 stands for a highway that runs through Campania, the area surrounding Naples; and the food of the restaurant focuses specifically on the cuisine of that region.

We started our meal off with some crostini and fresh mozzarella and olive oil, and I've never looked at mozzarella the same way since. Like butter, son.

April also had a drink called a "Blushing Angel", which was a wine cocktail, a strange concept to me, but she said it was delish. I wish I took down the parts of it, so I could be the only person I know whipping up wine cocktails, but whatevs.

Our main courses were a pizza bianca and a pasta dish, maccheronara, along with a side of roasted corn, all standard italian, all standardly DELISH. One thing to note, the side of corn was presented in a genius fashion, being cut into little disc segments of corn on the cob, so as to be able to serve corn in a restaurant in a more upscale fashion.

For dessert, we shared a chocolate budino tart. A chocolate cookie crust, with a chocolate filling, sprinkled with sea salt and slathered in olive oil. Don't knock it, shit is magnificent.

Our second visit there was still delish, but just wasn't as successful, I think cuz our expectations were so high from our first visit. Always go with the meatballs if they still have them.

This is a restaurant I highly recommend. A pizza and the budino(and the meatballs) are the only musts. Other than that, I can't really say anything, as the menu changes (like any good restaurant) according to what is in season.

$40/person should be enough for most nights there (i know, shit is kinna expensive. but such is the price you have to pay to eat with white people that'll prolly never go to cheesecake factory, even though i still think cheesecake factory is pretty good)

No comments: